Friday, February 02, 2007

Probably Smarter than Dr. Phil


Get excited, it is Groundhog Day (again?). That means that everyone wants to see what this fatty will do. Punxsutawney Phil, pictured here, is the most famous of the once-a-year weathermen. (I am not even going to get into his over-dressed tux wearing entourage.) This cold morning he rolled out of his den and did not see his shadow… so apparently there will be an early spring.

But what about the New Yorkers? There are two groundhogs on Long Island and one on Staten Island that all claim to know what the rest of winter will bring. Staten Island Chuck and Malverne Mel agreed with Phil about the early winter. Holtsville Hal was the only defector and decided to see his shadow. (He was probably under pressure from the Long Island salt and shove sellers.) This Hal had better straighten out his act. I am in desperate need of an early spring.

And for the record, I did not see my shadow this morning either. Then again, I am blind without my glasses... and am not round and covered in fur.

I just hope this “early spring” kicks in before this Sunday when the high is forecasted as 6 degrees. My jeans cannot take being tortured to death by salt for very much longer!

No comments: