Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting is Gorges

I know what you are thinking, ugg, more on those stupid midterm elections. I know the feeling I almost threw up listening to the NPR coverage this morning. (Luckily I turned if off soon enough! Whew!)

Anyway, I always joke about how liberal Ithaca is. It amuses me on a daily basis. Oh, we are soooo liberal that our Democratic Congressman is the Republican candidate! Literally. He is the candidate for every party in our district. Good thing I am not a New Yorker and therefore actually have a choice!

Needless to say, I am as jaded as they come. Today I actually saw something that warmed my unpatriotic soul: teenagers walking around in the pouring rain with "Honk if you voted!" signs. I mean they can't even vote but the care enough to risk a nasty cold to remind other people to vote. (Too bad I was like the only person on the street who honked.)

Maybe if there were more simple demonstrations like this and less of the celebrities-telling-you-to-vote campaigns, we would all be a little less cynical about our civil duty.

Take that Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, Diddy, or whatever your name is this second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I was one of the people you saw holding signs.
I was holding just a plain sign that said vote for Michael Arcuri, the person next to me was holding up a cardboard sign that said honk for Arcuri, and there were two other people across the street holding signs. You said you didn't vote in Ithaca to me but if you did you would vote democratic and it was right by a gas station.